Saturday, October 13, 2007

So I survived the first week

It has now been one full week that I have been living in Lilongwe. In that time, I have realized that I know very little about the world, that I have taken alot of things for granted (like the TTC or Metro), and that Africa is really really hot!

I moved into my house last Monday. It is a small square building, right behind the landlord's house, inside a large wall. My room is nice, and pretty big. Neither the toilet or the shower have lights in them, so I have been relying heavily on my headlamp to illuminate both processes.
I live in Area 14 of Lilongwe, which is kind of out of the way: but so is everything else, so it is hard to tell. I take either a bike, taxi, or my feat to get to work. And the whole process takes around an hour.
There is not much to update yet on the job front. This week has been orientation so there has not been a large focus on m y specific project yet. On Thursday and Friday the director and some of the board members of CAP AIDS (the organization that sent me here) came through Lilongwe on a tour of all their African projects. It was really nice to see some people from home and we had a chance to go out into the field to some of the rural communities. And I got a great meal out of it - not bad!
Overall, I am feeling ok. I have no idea yet whether I will like it here. I am still at the "take it one day at a time" stage. In fact, the best piece of advice I got was from my friend Kathryn who told me to "be gentle with myself". I have been following that and focusing on staying positive, getting sleep, and trying to make myself eat. She also told me to have fun - I will start working on that next week.
I have alot of things to comment on after a week here - so I will post them as topics and then you can read what interests you.
Stay tuned as well for some pictures- hopefully by Tuesday at the latest!!

No comments: