Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Going to the Movies.

Last weekend was the European Union Film Festival. In it’s third year, the European Union sponsors a film tour through Malawi featuring African and European films.

I went both Saturday and Sunday. Saw two great movies: one Finnish, the other French. And one bad movie: Malawian. Very low-budget about mountain witchcraft.

The most amusing part was the movie watching culture. Every time there was any physical or sexual contact between actors, the whole room would begin hooting and shouting. My friend and I were trying to decide whether these movies were extremely risqué by Malawian standards, or this was how they respond to sex in general. Either way, very funny.

The highlight by far was after the Malawian mountain movie. One of the ushers was leading a quick discussion on the movie and asked to confirm that everyone in the audience was Malawian. After a few seconds, he looked around and said “aside from our two commerades in the middle here (indicating to Julie and I – the only white people in the room), we are all Malawian, Yes?” The whole room burst out laughing and cheering. Very funny. I don’t think I will ever get over the hyper-awareness of my skin colour that comes with living in this part of Africa.

No comments: