Saturday, October 13, 2007

First dat of FUN

Something a little more upbeat:

Today I am having my first adventure in Lilongwe on my own!
I got up. Took my first minibus on my own. Had no problems. Went to the market in Old Town. A real market. Vendors yelling "hey Madame" at every turn. I wanted to take some pictures for you, but it offends some people so I am avoiding for the time being.
I bought three chitenjis - which are traditional wraps that women here use as skirts, dresses, baby carriers, head-wraps. The fabrics are incredible and lively! 2 meters costs 300 kwacha which is less than 3 dollars. (1 dollar=140 kwacha). Then I got sone tuperware. Then I got some woven baskets to hold my clothes in.
And then I walked here to the internet cafe.
Now I am going to go to the supermarket and then take a minibus home.

It is amazing how when one is in a new environment where every aspect of daily life has changed - how incredible it feels to take one independent step toward making this place feel more comfortable.
And I am even having some fun. Not bad for day 8.

4 comments:

maeve said...

sounds like you're settling in. yeah, the mini buses are crazy. Mastering public transit in any new place always makes me feel all proud and self-sufficient!

We're thinking of you over here in Vancouver.

Hugs!

mary-martha said...

Hi REbecca
You are so descriptive that I am starting to picture it all. What does "azungu" mean? Looking forward to pictures when you can do it. I don't know how to get to facebook but H or S will get me there. Lots of love sent to you on Shabbat from everyone in Hamilton. love mom xo

Marvin Caplan said...

Hi Rebecca,
We sat with your mom at Ira's bar mitzva on shabbat. She's not too proud of you lol. Gloria Silverman was sitting with us so I didn't confess that I had read your e-mail update Saturday morning.

The weather here has finally turned and is now about 10 or 12 during the day.

Ira did a great job. His dvar torah was far better and more cogent than rabbi danny's sermon.

Thanks for the e-mail and the blog.

Love from the Caplans.

Marvin

Emily Eisen said...

The prints Rebecca, not the fabrics.... hahaha, sorry its my fashion side talking.

Anywayys, I miss you lots and I hope we get a chance to talk soon... I still can't believe that you are on the otherside of the world, its amazing.

xoxoxoxoxo Emily