Thursday, October 18, 2007

So Close, Yet So Far Away

Last night I had my first social engagement in Malawi. Needless to say, I was excited. I was going to meet a friend of a friend of a friend (pretty common way to meet people half-way around the world) at a local ex-pat bar. The place is called The Shack and supposed to be a lot of fun, beach volleyball and beer in abundance.

I spent the day tracking down a private taxi driver for a decent price. Got someone highly recommended. Booked him to pick me up at 7:30.

Went home, had dinner, organized myself.

At 7:30 I went to wait by the gate, eager to meet Joseph who will hopefully become my regular driver.

Just as I was waiting at the gate – the entire neighbourhood suddenly went dark. And I mean pitch dark. My landlord came out to inform me that the whole country was out and not to expect anything for a while.

I ran back to the house to get my headlamp (which has proven to be the single most useful thing I brought) and went back to the gate; still determined to follow through with my break for social freedom.

Just as I saw Joseph pulling up, I got a call from the people that I was going to meet that the whole bar was out of electricity and everyone was heading home. I reluctantly told Joseph that I would not be needing his services anymore, and went back in to the house.

As I was changing, I exclaimed to Jenika how unfortunate it was that the energy went out, but at least I was making progress. At that exact moment, a mere five minutes after my plans were cancelled, the lights went back on!

Apparently the whole country got itself together much quicker than my landlord expected.

Ahh well, AWA.
Hopefully next time I can make it past the gate – now that would be an accomplishment!

1 comment:

Jenika said...

Rebecca's voice through the darkness: "To all those people who laughed at me bringing this headlamp, I say HA!"

*lights flicker back on*

"Oh."