Thursday, January 24, 2008

Love My Job?

This seems like a completely normal statement for most North Americans in the working world. And I have found this to be one of the biggest differences between work culture in North America versus Malawi. I have grown up with the understanding that I should explore a variety of fields of study, and try out different professions, until I find my true passion. It is a reasonable approach in university to base your major on whatever excites and interests you most, and to change that major when the interest wanes. Like many recently graduated individuals, I am on the hunt for that perfect job. One that makes me excited to get up to go to work and that makes me feel engaged on a daily basis. Perhaps it is because the financial reality of life has not yet set in, but I feel entitled to take the time to find that job, before turning to something less satisfying in order to pay the bills. In Canada, it is a perfectly normal to ask someone if they enjoy their job, how they came to it, and what they get out of it.
From what I can tell, none of the above assumptions apply in Malawi.
I ask people if they like their jobs, and most look at me like I am crazy. The response is usually ‘sure, I like my job’. The reality is that for those Malawians who do have jobs, it doesn’t matter whether they like them or not. They are in it for the money. They have not grown up cultivating the idea that they are entitled to a job that they love, and that they should hold out until they find it. In most contexts, work has an entirely different meaning.
This question about feeling passionate about your work has been coming up a lot in my office. As my organization is in the process of restructuring and re-strategizing for next year, there have been many many long (very long) meetings about the work that is done at CAYO and how people feel about it.
This past week, my director led a discussion about what would make people more excited about coming to work. The staff were very divided about the motivations that they have for coming to work. For some it is clear that they love working with youth, and for others, money was the primary reason for working. Nothing wrong with that, they are simply differences in opinion.
For me, I am extremely passionate about working with youth and on the issue of gender-based violence, so it is hard for me to understand other reasons why people would choose to work in this field other than genuine interest in the issues. These interests are what got me on that plane. So it has been an extremely humbling experience to realize that my belief in the necessity of loving your job is a very privileged one. To come from a world where learning and exploration to uncover what excites each person is encouraged and supported is rare. And should be appreciated.

1 comment:

jpg said...

i just want to say that i came home drunk last night and tried to craft a reply to this. which i still might finish. but i wanted you to know, the thought was there.