Thursday, January 24, 2008

Confrontation.

I find that I shy away from most confrontational debates about issues directly affecting CAYO’s policies and daily functioning. It is a combination of not having the interest or the energy in engaging in the debate.
These are the three possible reasons I see for not engaging in the discussion:\
I simply do not have a confrontational personality (partially true, but also a bit of a cop-out at the same time)
I do not feel personally invested in the organization to want to give input on the decisions being made
I do not feel like I have the right to steer a decision in one direction when I am not the person who has to live with that decision in the future (since I am leaving soon). And that as a foreigner I almost do not have a right to an opinion.

This internal confusion brings me back to the old question about how much I can and should be saying/doing as a Canadian intern in a Malawian organization.
On the one hand, I most definitely care about the direction that CAYO will take and want to help them shape a positive plan for the future. But I am always hesitant to overstep the invisible boundary that I feel between what is acceptable for the foreigner to comment on and what is off bounds. Another thing to look as also is the process of how an intern from a different country comes to be invested in the organization they are working for. The issues of time and cultural differences clearly play a part in creating obstacles for that investment to take hold. But I also think that there has to be a conscious effort made to help integrate the intern in the decision making processes, while giving them permission to take positions on the various issues at hand.
I am very lucky to have been given a lot of input into strategic changes that are currently taking place at CAYO. But am still unclear about how to reconcile those three issues competing to direct how much input I give and how to give it.

No comments: