Sunday, December 16, 2007

Contributions.

The staff at my NGO use an interesting technique to gather financial donations.
We were having our weekly meeting last week and one of the staff brought up a new program idea he had for Christmas baskets for those living with HIV/AIDS. It is a great idea: the basket contains the basic health necessities (soap, bed net, condoms, latex gloves, water purifier, etc.) and a food supplement that should last between two weeks to a month. The goal is to distribute ten baskets at $24USD per basket. Everyone agreed that it was an excellent idea and that my co-worker should go ahead with the plan. In Canada, this would be the point where the director asked his staff to begin soliciting donations or devise a fundraising scheme. Instead, my director turned to all of us. He basically went around the circle asking each person what they were going to ‘contribute’ and would stare until the person offered something. I found this whole exchange extremely uncomfortable. I am not sure if this is the Malawian way in general to raise money, or if this is the way it happens specifically in my organization, but I find it both uncomfortable and ineffective. Not only does it financially tax people who might not be in a position to contribute, but it is also SO AWKWARD. I find it much more sensitive and discreet to present the idea and then ask people to approach you privately to commit donations. This is not the first time this has happened. It seems to be a pattern where when CAYO needs to raise small funds, we all sit uncomfortably until one of the staff agrees to give some money. I always find it uncomfortable, which is compounded by the feeling I get that my co-workers are waiting for me to offer up the money. There have already been numerous comments to the effect that they are hoping that I will convey to my friends and family the needs of the community here. I understand that to most Malawians I represent endless wealth, and compared to most of their incomes, my intern’s stipend far surpasses theirs. I try to contribute to the economy and NGOs in any way that I can. I do however, resent being bullied into donating money that I do not necessarily feel confident in giving. Every time you give money to an NGO, you have to ask where that money is going and how it is being used; it is unfortunately the reality around here (and elsewhere in the world). I bought a basket. I am glad that it will help the person who receives. But there has to be a less awkward and more reputable way of donating – which does not involve passive aggressive bullying!

No comments: