Sunday, December 9, 2007

Chanukah In Malawi.

Happy Chanukah to all that it applies. I am convinced that I am the lone Jew in Malawi. Although a friend contests that there might be one or two others, though he does not know who they are. I came prepared and brought my own Chanukah candles with me. I have been crafty, and fashioned a channuakiah out of two bricks from the yard.
I have been domestic and made latkes and Chanukah cookies from scratch. I have been social and made a party on Saturday night where I got to showcase my religion for those interested.
Not too shabby.
However, it has brought two very significant issues to the fore.
The first is rather obvious: I have been wondering whether I would be able to make a place like Lilongwe my home, knowing that it has no Jewish community whatsoever. It is not a very serious problem right now as I am here for a short time, less than six months. I also planned this very strategically, leaving after the High Holy days and returning before Passover. Chanukah in the scheme of holidays is relatively minor and does not require a synagogue, other Jewish people, or really hard to find and expensive food. But if I were offered a job to stay here for another year, would I be able to knowing that I would be on my own for all things Jewish. It is lonely feeling unique (at least religiously) all the time. Most people (Malawian and not) have endless questions for me when they find out that I am Jewish. And it is amusing for me to try and explain both religious concepts as well as cultural/stereotypical ones such as summer camp, or “the JAP” (one of my favourites). But in the long run, I anticipate that the novelty would wear off, and then I would be left on my own.

This line of thinking then leads to the second issue: How important is my Judaism to my daily life? Important enough to turn down international opportunities in places where I cannot find a community of fellow Jews? I have noticed a pattern, that the periods where I am most identified with and connected to Judaism are when I am traveling. This makes sense; to cling to things that are both comfortable and make you unique when faced with constant change and difference. But if the times when I am most into Judaism are the ones when I am not with other Jews – does that automatically lead to returning home to be with other Jews….I am not sure.
All I know is that it is probably a good idea to sort all of this out before I rush off to some other foreign county where there will be no hope of finding any matzah. As it would get quite ridiculous to have to pack a year’s worth of Jewish paraphernalia very time I leave home.

2 comments:

rsg21 said...

It sounds like you're having such amazing adventures! We are all so proud of you and all of the work that you do. You're doing a great mitzvah of Tikkun Olam that so many of us struggle to do. Enjoy the rest of the Chanukah Holiday! Love, Rina

Kathryn said...

wow...dealing with living in a foreign country AND dealing with religious issues? Tough combination but it sounds like it's producing some serious thinking